In case of damage to a vessel or her cargo or when she has encountered exceptionally heavy weather during the voyage which may have caused damage, the master will register a protest ("note a protest") before the competent authorities, e.g. notary public or Counsul, Such a protest may be extended or completed within a certain limit of time after arrival.